The Best Spots for Apple Picking
Fall is such a wonderful season! The cooler, crisp morning air, oversized sweaters, pumpkin spice EVERYTHING, fall festivals, pies, cozy socks and cider! And don’t forget the fun of going to an apple orchard!
Many families enjoy the fall tradition of visiting an apple orchard and picking their own apples. So, we have rounded up a huge list of apple orchards.
While some orchards may be a bit of a trek – it will definitely create lasting memories for years to come with you and your family!
Be sure to call before you make the drive to one of these orchards so you know what’s available!
Top 5 Tips For Apple Picking In Southern California
- The best time to go apple picking is to go during the week. That’s because it’s less crowded than on weekends when everyone decides to go.
- The weather at these apple farms can be unpredictable so bring layers to adjust accordingly. Also, bring some sunscreen!
- Bring your own reusable bags to take home all your fresh apples that you’ve picked!
- Bring some picnic items because you might find the perfect picnic spot to enjoy the scenes.
- Buy some fresh apple pies if you can for a later feast – they actually freeze well!
WORTH THE DRIVE & DAY TRIPS
- LOS RIOS RANCHO
39611 Oak Glen Rd, Yucaipa, CA 92399
More than 32 varieties of traditional and heirloom apples. Roam the 100 acres of orchards for a true Autumn experience.
- STONE SOUP FARM & HERITAGE ORCHARD
12131 Oak Glen Rd, Yucaipa, CA 92399
A 130 year old Winesap apple orchard that provides a unique u-picking experience to our welcome guests.
- KNAUS APPLE RANCH
19042 Cherry Ln, Tehachapi, CA 93561
MAKE IT AN OVERNIGHT!
PLEASE CHECK WEBSITES CAREFULLY AND CALL BEFORE MAKING THE DRIVE FOR AVAILABLE DATES, TIMES AND ADMISSION. WITH THE CURRENT SEASON WE ARE IN, A BUSINESS CAN CHANGE THINGS DAILY. SOME REQUIRE A CERTAIN GROUP SIZE AND RESERVATIONS.
- VOLCAN VALLEY APPLE FARM
1284 Julian Orchards Drive Julian CA 92036
Offers 8,000 trellis grown apple trees and 7 apple varieties.
RANCHITA DEL REO
1711 Hwy 78 Julian CA 92036
2021 U PICK AT THIS LOCATION by RESERVATION ONLY
Reservations are required for U pick and the cider making demonstration. Group sizes will be restricted to no fewer than 10 and no more than 50.
APPLES & ART ORCHARDS/GASTIL MOUNTAIN FARMS
1055 Julian Orchards Drive Julian CA 92036
Open daily for groups that are together. MUST MAKE a group reservation (not accepting individuals or small groups right now).
- SLO CREEK FARMS
6455 Monte Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Come enjoy the beautiful 44 acre certified organic apple orchard and pick your very own fresh apples right from the trees!
- GOPHER GLEN ORGANIC APPLE FARM
2899 See Canyon Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
- GIZDICH FARMS
55 Peckham Rd, Watsonville, CA 95076
- APPLE HILL
2952 Carson Rd #1, Placerville, CA 95667
A pretty far drive but so worth it to also enjoy all the fall foliage and really take advantage of fall weather.